Revenue, earnings, and cash flow exceed expectations for the quarter
ROCKFORD, Mich., Nov. 05, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Wolverine World Wide, Inc. (NYSE: WWW) today reported financial results for the third quarter ended September 26, 2020.
“The Company’s third quarter results significantly exceeded our expectations, reaffirming the inherent strength of our portfolio and strong brand positioning in winning product categories and distribution channels,” said Blake W. Krueger, Wolverine Worldwide’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
“Saucony and Chaco delivered double-digit revenue growth in the quarter compared to the prior year, while Merrell and our work brands drove meaningful sequential revenue improvement versus Q2. Innovative, fresh product paired with compelling storytelling continued to fuel demand, as evidenced by our owned eCommerce business, which grew over 56% compared to last year. Our relentless focus on product design and development of digital capabilities has served the business well and will remain central to our multi-year investment strategy. I am encouraged by our growing momentum in the face of the headwinds created by the global pandemic and excited about the growth opportunities in front of the Company for 2021 and beyond. Our strong digital strategy and improved visibility to wholesale demand should enable us to return to meaningful growth in Q1 of 2021.”
THIRD QUARTER 2020 REVIEW
- Reported revenue was $493.1 million, down 14.1% versus the prior year. On a constant currency basis, revenue was down 14.6% versus the prior year. Owned eCommerce revenue grew 56.4% versus the prior year.
- Reported gross margin was 41.0%, compared to 42.4% in the prior year.
- Reported operating margin was 8.6%, compared to 11.9% in the prior year. Adjusted operating margin was 10.6%, compared to 14.1% in the prior year.
- Reported diluted earnings per share were $0.27, compared to earnings per share of $0.57 in the prior year. Adjusted diluted earnings per share were $0.35, and, on a constant currency basis, were $0.34, compared to $0.68 in the prior year.
- Inventory at the end of the quarter was down 22.0% versus the prior year and down 22.8% when excluding the impact of new stores and the incremental cost of new tariffs.
- Cash flow from operating activities in the quarter was $96.5 million, compared to $12.1 million in the prior year.
- Cash on hand at the end of the quarter was $342.0 million, compared to $125.2 million in the prior year.